Friday, February 25, 2011

Snowy Friday

We woke to a snowy morning here...


This light is in our back yard and has a great story (well I think it does). In the early 1970's my parents were redoing the patio in our family home. Jimmy Fernandes, my Dad's best friend brought this old Jacksonville stop light to my parents as a gift. It was then installed as the cornerstone of the new patio. In the early 2000's, the new owners removed the light when they redid the patio. One of the workers was given the light and he stored it in his barn for about ten years. Last year, when Papa Joe and I redid part our kitchen, Dave Ryan, our friend, was working on it, and told Papa Joe that he had the perfect light for our backyard. He had this light in his barn and told Papa Joe the story. Funny thing is, I had just told Papa Joe about the light the week before, wondering what had happened to it.. So in a way, the light has come home, and is now in our backyard. I love the history of it and the memories it evokes. So thanks Dave, and again, thanks Jimmie! And, thanks Papa Joe for installing it in our yard! here it is this morning!



And below is Jared on our new piece of equipment at the Y. He no longer minds removing snow. This mini beast has POWER! And now the grounds crew likes me, I got them this great toy!



So happy Friday race fans! Fun story! I was sitting with some of the Y's After School kids yesterday (they had misbehaved, and I was making them all have a time out. Yep, I am mean). One young boy, aged 8, asked me to turn on the television, in a time out, COME ON! But, when he told me that he wanted to watch the SPEED channel, I almost gave in! I told him, trying to be cool, you know, that I had been to Daytona, and he said, "so? My Dad took me to drive go carts." ok, reality check. Is it my man Junior's week? One can only hope!

Location:Jacksonville, Il

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful story about the light! And I love the new "snowcat"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good 'ole Uncle Jimmie. He was one of a kind! Can see him now!

    ReplyDelete