Tuesday, March 8, 2011

My new obsession

My son Cole graduated from Luther College in Decorah, Iowa nearly 2 years ago. I was thrilled that he finished in four years and went on to find gainful employment in Washington DC. For this I am eternally grateful. However, (and this is a big however!) I miss Decorah. To me, it is the very best of America. A town of roughly 9,000 snuggled in to the bluffs of north east Iowa. No easy way to get there, but well worth the trip. A charming downtown, with amazing locally owned shops. Fantastic shoe store, coffee shops, amazing restaurants, a 4 star hotel. A fantastic organic co-op grocery store. I could go on and on. Miles of biking and hiking trails, waterfalls, a fresh trout stream, and a quaint river nestled between Luther and the bluffs. Their Farmers Market was written up in Gourmet magazine as one of the ten best small town markets. Trust me, it is! I made Cole go with me before we checked him in to his freshman dorm!

Funny thing, when we bought a new bus for the Y, it came from Decorah! This town is continuing to touch my life!

But my current obsession is a weird one for me. Watching Eagles sit on their nest (with 3 eggs!!) on a web cam in Decorah. It is fascinating to see one Eagle fly in, and the other fly out. It I s almost like watching paint dry...but trust me, it really is cool. And I am not alone, at one point, there were over 8000 people online today watching.

So check it out at: raptorresource.org/falcon_cams

Then click on bird cams

Cool!
_

Location:Interstate 72 Business,Jacksonville,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment