Saturday, July 16, 2011

Saturday adventures

Today while Papa Joe and I were on a walk (stop rubbing your eyes, that is correct...I got Papa Joe to go on a walk!!!) he suggested we go on a tour of the Amish Community in Land Mine, MO. He had been there before and still talks about the eggs he bought there. Since it was already 95 degrees outside, the idea of being in an air conditioned car worked for me. So off we went.


These roosters were on the side of the highway...near


Not Amish...but lots of baskets...


I bought a great beach bag.....


The owner, who is 86 years young, told me how it was made...out of corn husks...and unfortunately, made in China. Did you know that Chinese pig farmers feed their pigs corn? And since they cannot afford fences, they dig holes in the ground....and the pigs live their entire lives in these holes, eating corn and their own waste. I know...gross. Their little pig legs are so weak...since they can't exercise them... So I am pretending my bag is made from Illinois corn husks.

Next stop...


An Amish vegetable stand


And then an Amish Market...


Customers arriving...I love the contrast...


The parking lot





Herbs, spices....








Very cool.....very interesting....


The check out girl..


And this was amazingly interesting...fabric to make bonnets, aprons, dresses...





And men's suspenders....


I don't know about you, but I have never seen an Amish general store...then we went to lunch....


Yep, he is soooo tired of the camera...





Papa Joe said it was delicious.
We wound around winding roads, lightly populated with horse and buggies and bicycles...








Papa Joe called this a corduroy road...have you ever heard of that? I had not...think of the ruts and grooves...get it??





We saw lots of animals...





Beautiful gardens...








Red Martin homes were abundant...for insect protection....I did not know this, but Papa Joe told me that Red Martin's eat their weight in insects daily.


Then we went to another Amish Country Store





A mush simpler way of life, but alt of hard work....


Remember Jamie's knit washcloth? I found her winter job!!!!


Amish novels......I really wanted to buy one...and am mad that I did not. Who knew that there were so many? Well, obviously someone did.


We found where the Amish buy their clothes....












No, you are right....no comment!! Other than, thank God he is not Amish....






Supplies...


Toys...





Food....


Cute little Amish magnets....


Back to generator envy...this is how they run the power in the store..


Saturday lunch on the porch of the store...everyone was talking about the homemade ice-cream...they were already sold out for the day. This is where they made it....


An old John Deere engine powers it. Very cool.


A lovely Amish home...most of their homes had aluminum siding and roofs


We stopped at Country View Lawn Furniture, a family business on the family farm





I was afraid that he would not leave! We bought Finley her own adirondack chair...adorable. As we drove off...these sweet girls were watching us...


I imagine they don't know who Casey Anthony is. Lucky girls.
Our next stop was...


Unfortunately, we did not know that you must show up early....the shop was nearly sold out...we did get some oatmeal cookies. We agreed, THE BEST oatmeal cookies either of us have ever tasted. THE BEST.


Mother Nature showing off outside of the bake shop. Our final stop was Jason Zimmerman's Seasonal Produce and Firewood.


Some timid faces


And some darling children...


We wanted sweet corn, Mr. Zimmerman had sold all that he had picked...so he hitched up the horse


And headed out to the field...


And picked the corn for us....


Talk about fresh!! It was a great adventure...really transported us to the heart of a true Amish Community. I must say, I feel better about the Amish now...in Michigan, the Amish people all look frighteningly alike...kind of weird...I almost offered to transport some to another state where they could mix it up a bit... Yes, I really said that. These people were so polite, timid, hard working and interesting and interested. They asked us as many questions as we asked them. The woodworker was asking us about prices at Lowe's. It was great fun.
However, I am very happy to be back in the air conditioning, watching absurd reality television and typing away on my iPad. Yes, I am a ridiculous creature who loves the modern world that I live in.
And by the way, what is up with JLo and Marc Anthony??
Happy Saturday friends!!!

Location:Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri

No comments:

Post a Comment