Saturday, August 27, 2011

Weather....

It is a beautiful warm day here in Central Illinois. My son in law has started in the fields...hard to believe that Harvest is upon us.
My gentleman farmer, Papa Joe happily spent the afternoon at the farm, on his tractor. the farm is his other Happy Place.


My son and step son are braving Irene's wrath in Washington DC. When I spoke to Cole last night, he had just finished stocking up on groceries at Whole Foods. If you know me, you know I love Whole Foods. Anytime we can, Papa Joe and I spend vast amounts of time and money there. So imagine the pride in this Mama's heart when her son tells her he stocked up for a hurricane there! (mind you, Cole is very close with his money...and Whole Foods is not cheap!) This was major!!!!
He proceeded to tell me that he and his friends were having a hurricane party. Now, imagine my pride once again...I love entertaining...did my son inherit that gene???? I excitedly ask what he purchased...the reply was:"staples for the house and meat. Actually 10 pounds of meat." hmmmn, that seems like a lot of meat. But ok. So again I ask..."what are you serving at your party?" I am imagining girls arriving in their Lilly sun dresses..wearing their rain boots...guys in khakis and button downs.... (yes, channeling his father and I in college). The response was short..."meat and beer." Yep, that is what I get for thinking.
The first party pic came in...


My son and my godson. Taking care of one another in a storm. My godson Scott has recently moved out there and is in college in the DC area...and isn't it nice to know that Cole has provided him with a port in the storm.
At least Jon and Cole have moved inside....


I wonder now, if they will even remember the storm....


Does not look like they will!


Parting thoughts,
1. Cole appears to be a good host
2. The boys Having only 1 bathroom could be a problem
3.I am so glad that I do to have to clean their home after the party
4. Thoughts and prayers go out to all of my friends on the East Coast
5. I do love my son!!!

Location:United States

1 comment:

  1. Mary, I accidentally came across this while looking around on Julie's blog page. How surprised I was to see a picture of Scott there! Scott had called me Friday (the day before the pic?) to tell me he had been out looking for large batteries for his girlfriend (no luck) and was going to fill up the gas tank in the truck. The team physicals had also been moved up to Saturday from Monday due to the pending storm.
    The only time he had ever mentioned Cole was one time he had picked him up to play tennis sometime the previous week.
    So here I'm thinking he's spending the weekend with the girlfriend ready to flee any moment at the first sign of impending disaster. Silly me. Not surprised, I'm the last one to find out he's hooked himself up for a party... rather the most resourceful kid I know. Hmm, wonder if the girlfriend was there too?
    Nice of him to help Cole carry in the beer. I'm sure Scott's next trip was to carry in the soda he had brought in his truck since he's not of legal drinking age until Wednesday. Well, I may be far away but I'm not stupid... sigh.
    Nice of Cole to be such a nice host. I never heard a thing about it. I may start being a follower of your blog just so I keep track of what Scott's up to : )
    As a postscript, you may know then that Grant was in town last weekend to get moved into their apartment in Fairfax. He's back in Biloxi now to finish up a 2 and a half month Finance course to learn how the government budget is done (seriously? I wonder who they could have found to teach it). He'll be done Oct. 5th and return to DC via Lindsay's and will be back in town when we're out there Columbus Day weekend. That's when we'll take Scott's dog, Cash, to him. He's a great dog and may show up at future parties too... just a thought

    ReplyDelete