Sunday, July 29, 2012

Corn is a good thing...

Last night, Finley was a flower girl.
The day started out at the hairdresser for her....



They gave our farm girl a Sarah Palin bump it!! Really?? Ok, so she handled it better than I did!


She and her Mama got dressed at my house....ok, so it doesn't look that bad...



Spinny Finny got the dancing started...and she had a wonderful time!!



With Braden



With her KK...putting her spoon on her nose...
But today, well,
Today was all about corn.....I headed out to Maggie and Adam's and we set out to harvest the sweet corn


The bump it got bumped...the boots were on, and off we set..





Is it ready?


Yes it is!


Henry...children of the corn!


This ear is a victim of the darn Japanese beetles...


The beetles eat the silks, so the silks cannot pollinate the corn. I believe I got that straight... At any rate, this is one sad ear of corn!


Who needs a jungle gym when you have John Deere?


We moved on to The View, where the second sweet corn field is..but just look at the seed corn...all burnt up....rather devastating.


Adam picked an ear of seed corn and was actually somewhat optimistic....there might be more of a crop than they believed...


He was trying to explain...something about the ring of color...and when you pick of a kernel, and peel it back...I forget, but...it's not ready yet! But it is close, and this year, Harvest at York farms begins August 13th. Early.


Yea, we picked some corn.and I bagged some corn...





While Madeline and Brittany ate some greasy food...something about a late night out...???
And then little miss Bump It decided to shuck (corn reference...clever, right!??) her clothes and make a swimming pool out of the farm dogs water bowl...


That did not go over well with the parents...
Meanwhile, in Michigan???


My Penford girls had a party without me.....


Annie was runner up for the Epworth Queen! Go nnie!


Her proud papa.

This has been a terrible week, one of my dearest friends died. She was the gentlest, sweetest, truest friend I have ever been blessed to know. My children and I have 28 years of wonderful memories of times spent with her and her darling daughters. Thank God for those memories... They truly do light up the dark times... And in true Joan fashion, she waved goodbye...


And I know, she will be in my heart forever.

Location:W College Ave,Jacksonville,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment