Saturday, November 19, 2011

Life is full of miracles.... And hunters

Our parents always taught us to be nice. Seriously, be nice to people. I have tried my best, all my life to be nice. Somedays, I succeed. When I moved back to Jacksonville 6.5 years ago....my youngest sister told my mother... "I guess Mary listened to you, it does pay to be nice to people." you see, when I moved home, my friends were amazing! They stored my furniture in their barn, they power washed and stained my deck, they hauled boxes, hung chandeliers, trimmed trees, ripped out bushes, re-wired, painted, stained, cleaned, mowed the yard...I could go on and on. My friends welcomed me home in the best imaginable way.

My mother is a lovely, gracious lady. Who is NICE. Amazingly so. So it has been no surprise that everyone who knows her loves her. Since she has been sick, her friends have blown out all the stops. Meals, snacks, cards, flowers and assorted gifts arrive DAILY. Cousins, relatives and friends have flown in from California, Massachusetts, and now Florida. They have driven from Kansas, Michigan, Indiana and Missouri. This has been a true blessing. We could not get though these times without our friends, their love and meals!!

Last week, my mother's dear friend Mary called...she wanted to come see my mother. Sounds easy, right? My Mom can only handle short visits right now, and Mary knows this. So she made plans to come visit. The thing is, Mary lives in Naples, Florida. And Jacksonville really is not an easy place to get to. The thing is, Mary was determined. She was coming. arriving Saturday night and leaving Sunday morning.

I did not tell my mother...it was going to be a surprise. So this morning,I took her to get her hair done, a special call to her hairdresser was all it took. I merely told her that we wanted her to look pretty. It doesn't hurt that she loves getting her hair done!

While she was there, I went to the meat locker to purchase a roast to make for dinner. HUNTING season...I made some new friends from Holland, Michigan.


Looks like a successful day in the greater Jacksonville area. Yes, they were shocked when I asked to take a picture! I then went inside to purchase a sirloin roast. All I can say is, it doesn't get much fresher than this!!!,


Seriously, Daniel cut the roast right off the cow leg. Or whatever you call it. Ok, now I am feeling a bit weird about dinner... So I made dinner, and took it to my parents, only telling them that a mystery guest was arriving for dinner.

Then Mary arrived. The tears were flowing and my mother? Simply put, she turned to me and said, through her tears..."this is better than Christmas." Honestly, one of life's best moments....amazing.


Happy tears.... Mom then ran to the phone to call her best friend Emy, and she came right over...more tears. Another incredible moment to see the three of them together again.


A day of happiness. Truly, a miracle....to see them all together one more time. What a wonderful way to welcome in the holiday season. And a reminder...BE nice people! It pays off...in amazing ways.

Location:Jacksonville, Illinois

No comments:

Post a Comment