Friday, April 6, 2012

An afternoon at the farm

I took the afternoon off...to spend some time with Maggie and the wee ones. We were going to make Betty Pierce's sugar cookies for Easter. Maggie and I used to do this when she was but a wee lass. But when I got to the farm, I couldn't help but notice the activity...so Fin and I set out to see what was going on. Well, favorite son in law and his family farm roughly 10,000 acres. I knew it was a big deal, but today I Learned that it was so much bigger than I imagined.


They have trucks...York Trucking Company


Lots of big trucks.....


Trucks pulling chemicals



And they have Critter. Yep, Critter. They also have Scooper, but he wasn't around. But I got Critter!


They have tracks (or tracs???) for the combine



And for the Planter. This, I am told, is a BIG deal. I believe it!


They have new equipment that they are putting together...
They have corn seed...


The purple seed is Finley's favorite. I had NEVER seen purple corn seed... Until today. Finley and I helped open the bags of seed...


Then Nick and Adam dumped the seed into the containers (huge lack of farming terminology ahead...be prepared)


This seed is green. Once they filled the container with seed, they transferred it to



This cool thing. 4 containers fit on it, each container held 50 pounds of seed, which means that once filled, Adam's planter can plant 400 acres at a time.
...It is planting time...and the guys were getting Adam' planter ready for a long afternoon in the fields.



This girl knows her way around the farm...


So once the containers are full, they then fill the planter from here.
So, when I think of farming, I think of Pa Ingalls and Bessie the cow pulling the plow. Wow, did I EVER need a lesson in farming. Move over Bessie...here comes Adam


Just look at this beast......and this is with the arms folded in. It was better than a parade...we all ran out on the front lawn to watch favorite son in law head out....but, he didn't throw candy...just a lot of dust.


Julie, Henry and Carter


Finley and Sam


Finley and I got an up close look before departure...






This baby is massive....


This is where the seed is...you can see the seed line if you look closely...this was before they added more seed. I think you need to be an engineer or a physicist to run this puppy...amazing.


Not only does it plant, but it fertilizes as well.


And it is air conditioned, has satellite radio, GPS, auto steering. Heck, it probably even has a rest room! Ok, so maybe not.


Our last view as Adam headed out on The Old State Road.
Then we adjourned to do what we had planned on doing...baking








Henry was a fan!
Then we came in to our house


Finley slept in our bed...again... and Papa Joe lit a fire in the firepit.


Men and fires...just do not get it. Was a bit worried about the house though....but it calmed down! Papa Joe had had a rough day at his farm, there was water in the diesel fuel, so his bulldozer would not work. Bummer. Men and these big ole machines....


And we cooked...hot dogs and hamburgers...on the old grate out of the farmhouse we flipped last year....


It worked...really well. However, I would prefer to have a table made out of this grate... Oh well.


Taylor and Ellie came over and helped Finley blow big bubbles...


She loved her hot dog...all beef I might add. Only the best, you know! Ha!


Henry loved my baked Gouda. Who are we kidding, this one loves food!!


Madeline and her friend Taylor, from Ole Miss, got glammed up for a night out in Jacksonville.


We settled In on the porch...


And yes, he is still irritated by my camera!!!
Picture of the day yesterday....


Henry and Dede.
Picture of the day.......today...


Finley and her Daddy

HAPPY EASTER WEEKEND!!!!!

Location:W College Ave,Jacksonville,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment