Sunday, October 9, 2011

Reunion weekend..

This weekend, I returned to San Antonio for my 30th College reunion. The morning I left, I awoke wondering if I wasn't mistaken...surely it was only 20 years. Then as I attempted to get up, I realized, as my knees were making it impossible to get out of bed with any ease, that yes, it has been 30 years! Plans had been made with my former room mates to get adjoining rooms. Just like college. We were all a bit apprehensive because the last time we had all been together was 29 years ago...for all we knew, one of us could be an ax murderer!

A normal day in the Midwest....


Ok, that is something new...
As I was waiting to board my flight in St. Louis, I saw a man in a kilt. I figured, ah, it is October, Halloween costume. Then I heard the magical sound of bagpipes....they were proceeding down the concourse.


It was a WW2 Honor Flight. They were flying from St. Louis to Washington DC where they were going to visit the World War 2 Memorial. As the bagpipes started playing Amazing Grace, I lost it. (my emotions have been rather raw lately...so the tears came easily). The veterans were marching down the concourse, to the sound of bagpipes and applause.


Sorry for the blurry photo, I was crying too hard! It was one of the most emotional and inspiring things I had ever seen.

Upon arrival in San Antonio...I was greeted by this...


Lisa's boots!


Dear friends...


Roommates


Former Trinity tennis stars and dear friends


Greeting long lost friends


With Peter and Lizzie. Lizzie is one of the roommates and the co-chair of the alumni weekend.


Capturing new memories
Saturday, we returned to campus..





Ran in to sorority sisters


Remembered how much I loved the live oak trees


The tennis stadium....brought back many happy memories


The view of downtown from campus


Outside our old room....



The Trinity tower


Dancing lessons at the Alumni luncheon....


Every time I visit San Antonio, I go to the Alamo....I just love it!
So does the cupcake guy...





The walls of the Alamo


We saw these boots on the grounds of the Alamo, tucked away under a tree I think they were Sam Houston's. Right!?





The grounds of the Alamo are so beautiful


my Mom always cried when she visited the Alamo... She loves history. And she loved standing under this tree, admiring it while we all tapped our feet...impatient to go get a taco!


Pure Texas.
Kirby is doing a book...as only Kirby could do . She has been working on it for the past 30 years... Titled "Life Between My Legs." ok. Kirby is a television newscaster and has travelled the world for work, so she has photographed some amazing places. So here she is, at the Alamo, photographing it for her book....


All I can say is...it's Kirby!! I laughed until I cried...just like college. Life was NEVER dull with her as my roommate!


David, John and I may make the book!!!!


Heading to our reunion dinner. It was a magical weekend. None of us turned out to be ax murderers! We live in Illinois, Kansas, Vermont, Kentucky and Texas, mothers, sisters, daughters, who work, volunteer, who cherish these friendships. Some are recovering alcoholics (11 years sober!), some have divorced, remained single, battled illnesses and battled this tough economy. It was amazing, the best times we shared this weekend were late at night, in our pajamas, talking. We re-connected effortlessly. Our friendships were formed and grew over four wonderful years...and that bond has endured. It was wonderful re-uniting and picking up where we left off...30 years ago.

Location:San Antonio, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment